Saturday, February 20, 2010

Jasmine Rice with Oats

Eating for health is one of my goal for the Year of Tiger.  I like to use long grain Jasmine Rice (Thailand - New Crop 2010) for regular meal.  It is aromatic and flavorful.  I also add 3 sprigs of Saffron and some butter.   This year I am going to cook it with Oats.  For this photo journal, I sprinkled the rice with my favorite Japanese 'FURIKAKE'.

Ingredients:
2 C Jasmine Rice (New Crop 2010 - Thailand - 3 ladies brand)
1/2 C Quakers Oats, after washing and rinsing, soak for 15 min.
3 sprigs of Saffron (India)
2 Tbsp Butter cut into small chunks

1.  Rinse rice till water is clear
2.  Rinse Oats in water till water is quite clear
3.  Mash 3 sprigs of Saffron in a petite bowl with the end of spoon, etc.
4.  For 2 C of rice and 1/2 C of pre-soaked oats, cook in rice cooker with 1-2/3 C of water.  New crop type rice use less water.
5.  Add Saffron and Butter chunks
6.  Mix together with spoon.
7.  Cook

My rice cooker is a old fashion one switch cooker - close to 30 years old.  If you have one of the high tech "Zojirushi" brand pressure cooker type rice cooker, follow its instruction  to adjust water quantity for Mix Rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! what is Cooking in your kitchen?