Saturday, October 01, 2011

Stuffed Bell Peppers

It's been a long long while since I last made stuffed bell peppers.     Probably 20 years ago.    I remember making stuffed rolled cabbage stew, rolled grape leaf stew, stuffed bell peppers.     I don't know why I don't make it any more, but as I started to prepare for this one, I kind of remember the dis-likeness of the 'mushy' rice in it.     The solution I came up with is perfect.     As the "new crop" rice use less water to cook with my rice cooker - instead of the 1 to 1 or the 2 to 1 -  water to rice ratio, I cook it 1/2 to 1 water to rice ratio.      I also used Thailand's long grain jasmine rice.    And used a bit more less water than the 1/2 - to undercook it.     I love the result with this rice.     The meat and sauteed vegetables flavored the rice all around and did not turn out mushy.

 The green bell peppers are home grown from my mother's garden.
Mozzarella cheese was placed on top of the cooked stuffed bell peppers after they came out of the oven.  Then, covered with the top aluminum foil for about 10 - 15 min to allow to melt.
I did not want the crusty browned cheese as the rice on the top has already formed a crust.  The Hungarian paprika and bell peppers complemented each other and brought the heat and flavor of the bell pepper well together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! what is Cooking in your kitchen?