Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Kale Power!! Kale Pandan Coconut Chiffon Cake

I found this bag of Organic Kale powder at COSTCO.  It got me curious to see if I can bake Chiffon cake just like with MATCHA tea powder.
This is my first testing with the Kale powder in cake ingredients, and there is a flaw in how I did it.  But if you are looking for the Pandan Coconut Chiffon Cake that I make, it can be found at the following link.
Basic cake ingredients can be found at Polly's Pandan Coconut Chiffon Cake from my blog 
http://rockdavinci.blogspot.com/2013/05/pollys-pandan-coconut-chiffon-cake.html
 For this recipe, I modified the recipe to include 2 Tablespoon of Kale powder pre-shifted with flour 3 to 4 times.   My problem is likely the result of missing egg yolks.  I had a bowl of left over egg whites from 4 eggs from making my favorite Cinnamon Rolls (from Alton Brown's recipe).  I thought adding 3 whole eggs (separated) would work out just the same.  The egg whites beat up beautifully to firm peak. But the cake turned out without much rise.  Caved inwards and up at the bottom of the cake pan.  Luckily the taste was not compromised.  It tastes good, but resulted in dense texture at the bottom.   I should have taken in account for the percentage of extra weight of powder mixed into 160 g of shifted flour.  I noticed this Organic Kale powder is super fine.  It absorbed the liquid in the egg batter quickly.  It probably caused the batter to be heavier than normal.  I should have used the correct egg counts, too.  Since my Chiffon cake recipe does not use baking powder, adding extra 1/2 Cup more sugar to make the meringue might have helped also.  
Here is my photo journal.
 Pandan juice, coconut milk, EVOO, Eggs, water, sugar.
I started to notice the problem during the meringue folding.  
Looks like the Meringue did not have a good support even though it formed a great looking firm peak.  
Not enough rise!!!
Dense looking yet feels light to my surprise.   I sliced the dense looking section off and served the fluffy section.
How is the taste?   Very good!  It has a very good balanced taste.  The bitter Kale taste is not present. 
This Kale Chiffon Cake is worth making again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! what is Cooking in your kitchen?