Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Jasmine Fried Rice with Beets Greens, Onions, and Raisins

One of the advantages in learning Mediterranean cooking is to use some of the ingredients that you would never thought of adding to the 'white rice' that you maybe so use to eating.    I have fried rice before and many times with different types of ingredients.    But once I learned the new methods of preparing the rice - risotto way, paella way, pilaf way, then, the varieties of ingredients that I started to experiment with have increased quite a bit.    I never thought of eating the Beets Greens.     After I chop off the greens off the top of the beets that I am preparing to make my salad, I just threw away the greens.     One of the unfounded reasons I had in my head is because of the color of the stem of the beets greens - red.  (If its yellow beets, the stems are yellow.)   So, thinking that it maybe similar to Rhubarb, leaves are toxic, I never thought of researching and has been tossing the good greens.    Well, this time, I tried it.     I sauteed them with onions and garlic.    Then, added jasmine rice to stir fry - Pilaf method.  Added some raisins and my new dish is created.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! what is Cooking in your kitchen?