Sunday, November 13, 2011

Polly's Pan-Biscuits





I love my Pan-Biscuit.   I don't know if others do it this way or not, but one morning, I was hungry for a good breakfast with fried eggs.   I didn't not want to have half dozen biscuits, but just one.    So my solution was to pan-bake the biscuit.    After mixing about 1/3 cup of flour and 3/4 tsp of baking powder without aluminum, pinch of salt, rub 2 TB of cold Butter into it and make half mealy dough and and some butter chunk left in pea size.    Then slowly add cold milk a tablespoon at a time and mix into a very soft dough that you can still handle with flour coated hands.   Fold them two times and shape it roughly into a circle.    In a non-stick fry pan (with lid), melt a tsp of butter, and place the dough in the middle of the pan.   Cover with the lid.   Bake in the pan for about 10-12 min over medium low or low high (depending on your gas stove, adjust the time needed to bake through.)   Then, turn it over and bake the other side.    In the mean time, fry your eggs in a separate pan - season with anything you like.     Cool the biscuit for about 2 minutes and then, split the biscuit open, sandwich the eggs in between, wrap and off it goes with you to the office.



2 comments:

  1. This is pretty cool, kinda the same thing I just did (thus why I am googling biscuit things & whatnot) I just had some pizza dough I bought from the corner, meaning to mkae a pizza but never went and got the rest of the ingredients... So I remember my cousin teaching me to make flatbreads on a skillet with NO oil or grease of any kind. So I did the same thing with the pizza dough. just grabbed a tennis ball size glob, flattened it out the best I could, and dropped it on the hot dry skillet. I like to keep smooshing them with a cooking iron (weight) or even a seperate empty pan works, or even just the end of your spatulla... but any ways, just keep pressing and turning, as to not burn, and you will start to see the outside turn a beautiful crusty gold and brown with spots of black if left on too long, but just a little char is sooo beautiful. TRY IT! its awesome :) and delicious. Once you master this, you can do 2 at a time and right before theyre done, throw some swiss and ham inbetween 2 flatbreads & smoosh them with the weight again into a paninii. Holy shit, you will think you died and went to poor people, delicous food heaven. Im in love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jimmy for sharing your experience.. It's a funny way to put to words about "...went to poor people, delicious food heaven". But historically it is true, all the good delicious tasty food are street food and by the poor who has nothing to eat but the innards, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! what is Cooking in your kitchen?