Saturday, April 19, 2014

Homemade Tortilla for Taco Night

Taco is one of my favorite lunch at the office.    But it has not been one of the item to cook at home.  You would agree - just go eat at the Taco Bell or at your favorite local taco joint.   Well, the time has come to roll up the sleeve and enjoy them at home.  At first, I bought crispy taco shell, etc. out of box, then, I ran out.  I could easily just make the crispy taco shell, too, but... taco is something I enjoy eating out.  Until the price per Meal value jumped to a price that is just about the same as a sit down Chinese, Japanese or Vietnamese restaurants for PHO noodle or UDON or fried noodle... then 'me' start thinking.... Oh my goodness!  there goes my favorite treat that I really enjoy.  The taco joint at the corner of Olson drive has lost a bunch of customers, I bet, after Panda Express opened up a block down the road; then the Koreana Plaza opened up the "International Food Court".   I love Nashny and all the goodies that I can taste.   But I still want to eat TACO, taco, taco!!
Ingredients:  
1 lb Organic Ground Beef
1 C chopped Onion
Freshly cut iceberg lettuce
A bowl of Tillamook shredded Cheddar Cheese - cool room temperature
Gluteless and preservative free jar of Salsa - yes, you should make it fresh, but Tomatoes are not growing yet in my garden.
Salt to taste
Packet of Taco seasoning or make your own:
a Couple of shakes of Cayenne Pepper
a good pinch of ground cumin
1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes
1 tsp chili powder
Option:  cut tomatoes, cilantro, sour cream, etc.

Saute chopped onion over medium low heat till they are translucent; Add ground beef.   Stir and press and separate ground beef to make chunks into individual ground state.   Add all the spices and add salt to taste.  Add anything else you like.

Ingredients for Soft Taco Shell:
1 C flour
1 Tbsp vege oil
pinch of salt
about 6 Tbsp of water

Mix flour and vege oil together first - thoroughly.   Then sprinkle salt over it.   Add water and mix with hand and knead until a smooth ball forms.  About 10 min.   Cover and set aside and rest for 15 min.
Divide the dough into a good size ball that you can roll into a 6 inch soft Tortilla.  Thickness is up to you.
Heat a flat pan.  Rub some vege oil, if you wish, on the pan ... place the tortilla dough to cook. 
It would puff up.  Turn it over to cook the opposite side when the bottom side turns slightly brown.
Remove from heat and place it in a Taco stand while warm, if you have one.
Spoon ground beef, ... and all the goodies.
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! what is Cooking in your kitchen?