Friday, December 04, 2015

Fennel Salad with KAKI, Fuji Apple, and Pomegranates

Fennel Power!   
This has become one of my favorite salad.  Refreshing and it helps me with joint inflammation.   Fennel is considered anti-inflammatory, it says.  When I first tasted fennel, it was a few years ago at one of our co-workers' home party to celebrate autumn vegetables.   Fennel and FUYU KAKI (Japanese persimmon) salad.  I did not particularly took interest in its taste as it tasted very much like Licorice.  Licorice is one taste that I never become fond of.  However, it was one of the menu ingredients when I received my package of the week from the Blue Apron.   I didn't know quite what to do with it, except to follow the direction and prepare the dish.   Again, another surprise.  The dish turned out tasty.  Since then, I have purchased it a number of times from our Sacramento Food Co-Op.  I didn't know much about it.  I chopped away the stalks and reserved a few stems of fennel fern.   I didn't know I could use the whiter part of stalk as well... like leek.   Anyways, I added slices of KAKI, and pomegranates from my mother's home.   Made vinaigrette from Pure Olive Oil, Dijon mustard, Vinegar, organic cane sugar, salt and pepper, and lemon juice.  The taste is perfect match for this salad.   I ate every bit of it.   Variation is using shaved carrots and or sliced cucumbers.
 Fresh home grown Pomegranates and FUYU KAKI.   You only need two tablespoon of Pomegranate and one Kaki - sliced.

 I like pomegranates, so there are more than 2 Tbsp of it in my salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! what is Cooking in your kitchen?